It is hard to believe we are already through the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Time is really flying this year – at least it seems that way to me. Graduation parties are in full swing, summer jobs have started, weekend pool parties and the real estate market is just as busy as it has been all year. Let’s start with the amazing mortgage interest rates that continue to tumble downward. They are now well into the threes for 30-year fixed rates and are expected to go down even further. This makes now a great time to buy a home! It can still be a challenge to find the right house, as inventory levels remain extremely low – 19% below last year this same week and nearly 30% below what was on the market two years ago. What is also amazing is that sales are up with inventory levels being down. Through April (latest available data point), there was one more sale this year than last year…one more is one more than before. I believe that interest rates will continue to foster sales through the summer as inventory will come on the market. Let’s talk about your plans if you are considering selling – we can position you properly to take advantage of today’s market.
All this being said, the market is not good to all sellers. The reason for this is some sellers are under the belief that their property will sell regardless of price and condition. We are seeing a lot of unrealistic prices on properties, as well as houses in disrepair or in need of substantial work to get the prices sellers are asking. We have seen average prices up over last year by 2.75% which is great, but it is not 2.75% per month like some sellers are pricing their houses at today (and “hoping” to get for them). From a buyer’s prospective, we are still in a price conscience market. Buyer’s are concerned about paying too much and are analyzing prices closely, especially if they are using a professional REALTOR and not the internet to help them buy a house. The internet is not the way to buy a house today or anytime. It’s limits are as a very good resource for basic information. The guidance and expertise of a real estate professional is more important today than ever before. If you are considering buying, we should talk sooner rather than later so give me a call.
Have a great June – enjoy the graduation parties!
It’s a good life.
Don’t miss out on any of the exciting events in Northern Virginia!
Taste of Reston
Innovations in Flight Family Day & Aviation Display
Saturday, June 15 – 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM | Admission is free, parking $15
National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, 14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway, Chantilly, VA 20151
Explore the engineering and design innovations that have taken place during the last century of flight. Talk with pilots of over 50 vintage and modern aircraft, on display outside the Museum for one day only. Discover the science behind flight through hands-on, STEM-based activities. Sponsored by United Airlines.
Taste of Reston
Friday, June 14 from 4pm – 11pm and June 15 from 11am – 11pm
Admission is free – food & beverage prices vary
Reston Town Center 11900 Market Street Reston, VA 20190
The Taste of Reston, produced by the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce, is the largest outdoor food festival in the area and has been voted “Northern Virginia’s Best Food Festival” by Virginia Living magazine for the past six years. Join us at Reston Town Center for two days of restaurants and community vendors, live entertainment on three stages, the Family Fun Zone! and our Wine ‘n Dine area. GARAGE PARKING IS FREE FOR THE DURATION OF THIS EVENT!
Carnival at One Loudoun
June 5 – 23
20280 Exchange Street, Ashburn, VA
Monday thru Friday: 6pm – 11pm | Saturday: 1pm – 11pm | Sunday: 3pm – 11pm
Its back – rides, food, games – fun for the whole family!
Unlimited Ride Specials:
Monday – Thursday: $30 Good from opening to closing
Friday – Sunday: $35 Good from opening to closing
Prince William County
Stars and Stripes: Pre 4th of July Parade
Sunday, June 30 from 2pm – 6pm| Admission is free
Haymarket Town Hall, 14600 Washington Street, Haymarket, VA
Activities will include: Children’s parade, Vintage Cars, Live Music, Food and Ice Cream Vendors, Summer Games and Community fun. All children are encouraged to decorate bikes, wagons, scooters, unicycles, tricycles or any other non-motorized play vehicle in festive Fourth of July decor for the Children’s parade.
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
On May 6, 2019, we hosted our 16th Annual Golf for Charity event at Chantilly National Golf & Country Club. It was a beautiful day, the sun was shinning, the breeze was blowing and over 90 players enjoyed the links helping us to raise $35,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
The day would not have been possible without the support of our amazing sponsors including: Equinox Investments, A & A Fence, McGriff Insurance Services, Inc., Empire Masonry, CrossFit PRStar, Able Moving & Storage, Privaira, KT Enterprises, Inc., KT Irrigation, Total Development Solutions, Heritage Landscape Services, The Junkluggers of Gainesville, Atlantic Coast Mortgage, MBH Settlements, HMS, Walker Title, Home Warranty of America, New World Title, Give Back for Grumps, Pro Edge Painting and Main Street Home Loans.
The proceeds from the tournament were raised in an effort to support the LLS Man of the Year Campaign for one of our own agents, Mr. Jason Smith. We are proud to announce that this tournament helped Jason’s campaign exceed his goal and he was awarded the crown for the Man of the Year for the Low Country South Carolina chapter of the LLS. Jason’s campaign raised over $240,000!
Congratulations to Jason and thank you again to all of those who participated, sponsored and volunteered at our event.
Summer Pasta Salad
Prep time 20 minutes | Chill for 2 hours
· 8 oz dry rotini pasta
· 1/2 cup red onion slivered
· 1 yellow pepper diced
· 1 small zucchini diced
· 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
· 3/4 cup carrots julienned
· 1 corn cob grilled
· 1/2 cup radish sliced
· 1/2 cup feta cheese
· 2 tablespoons fresh herbs
· 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· 3 tablespoons Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
· 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
· 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
· 1 tablespoon Dijon
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· salt and pepper
1. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking. While your noodles cook, get your vegetables ready. Make sure your veggies are cut into small pieces before you add them to the pasta salad, so you can enjoy multiple flavors in each bite!
2. Combine all dressing ingredients In a mason jar and shake well to combine.
3. Make sure the pasta is cool before you toss everything together so you don’t begin to cook the vegetables. Toss pasta, veggies, and dressing together and store in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Top with additional feta cheese and herbs if desired.
7 Reasons to Work with a Realtor
REALTORS® aren’t just agents. They’re professional members of the National Association of REALTORS® and subscribe to its strict code of ethics.
This is the REALTOR® difference for home buyers:
- An expert guide. Selling a home usually requires dozens of forms, reports, disclosures, and other technical documents. A knowledgeable expert will help you prepare the best deal, and avoid delays or costly mistakes. Also, there’s a lot of jargon involved, so you want to work with a professional who can speak the language.
- Objective information and opinions. REALTORS® can provide local information on utilities, zoning, schools, and more. They also have objective information about each property. REALTORs® can use that data to help you determine if the property has what you need.
- Property marketing power. Property doesn’t sell due to advertising alone. A large share of real estate sales comes as the result of a practitioner’s contacts with previous clients, friends, and family.
- Negotiation knowledge. There are many factors up for discussion in a deal. A REALTOR® will look at every angle from your perspective, including crafting a purchase agreement that allows you the flexibility you need to take that next step.
- Up-to-date experience. Most people sell only a few homes in a lifetime, usually with quite a few years in between each sale. Even if you’ve done it before, laws and regulations change. REALTORS® handle hundreds of transactions over the course of their career.
- Your rock during emotional moments. A home is so much more than four walls and a roof. And for most people, property represents the biggest purchase they’ll ever make. Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on the issues most important to you.
- Ethical treatment. Every REALTOR® must adhere to a strict code of ethics, which is based on professionalism and protection of the public. As a REALTOR®’s client, you can expect honest and ethical treatment in all transaction-related matters.
As a professional REALTOR, I would be honored to assist you in the sale or purchase of a new home. Please give me a call if you would like to talk more about your current situation. I’m happy to answer all of your questions! I look forward to working with you!